Crew New York: A Brief History

glrfcentral

glrfcentral

Crew New York has evolved from a functional club to a group within the Gay + Lesbian Rowing Federation social network, All Oars Network.

When Crew New York was established, as a gay and lesbian rowing club, it rowed out of the Peter J Sharpe Boathouse, as one of the tenant clubs. Due to high costs, a lack of acceptable equipment, and a change in the philosophy of the boathouse in how the tenant clubs could use the boats, the club dissolved. The members scattered to other rowing clubs.

GLRF added the All Oars Network social network component to its community tools in September 2009, recognizing that an internal social network would be a perfect medium to bring rowers together from various clubs in a large metropolitan area. New York City is populated with many active and inactive rowers and slowly these folks are discovering the virtues of a shared connection through the Crew New York group.

• 2 months later...
I may be moving back to NYC from Seattle, and am curious where most gay and lesbian rowers are rowing since Crew New York has disbanded. That being said, although rowing with a club that with a gay population of rowers would be awesome, i'm most interested in finding a club where members row competitively at the masters level. I didn't row in NYC, so i'm not familiar with what the clubs are like.
glrfcentral

I may be moving back to NYC from Seattle, and am curious where most gay and lesbian rowers are rowing since Crew New York has disbanded. That being said, although rowing with a club that with a gay population of rowers would be awesome, i'm most interested in finding a club where members row competitively at the masters level. I didn't row in NYC, so i'm not familiar with what the clubs are like.

Did you see the other discussion topic about clubs in NYC? Link:

http://www.glrf.info/alloars/index.php?showtopic=393

I would say the most competitive in terms of the ability to send crews and boats to regattas would be Nereid, Passaic River, and NYAC. The most gay and lesbian populated crews would probably be Harlem Community Rowing. So many of the Crew New York group members row with different clubs that many might take issue with my opinion but hey, it's a forum and a discussion... and functions to list their replies!

- Brian