Glrf Gender Identity Labels

Since the Gay + Lesbian Rowing Federation website went live in October 2003, we have displayed a gender form field on our member registration form that offers three gender identities: male, female, and transgender. At the time, we thought we were being super inclusive and on the cutting edge of acceptance since transgender was not a topic discussed in the international gays sports organization world or offered as part of a registration data bit. Then we fast forward into the late 2010’s and GLRF begins to get hammered about the use of transgender as a gender identity. We were told this is insulting, implying that we are throwing shade on someone who is in transition.

The purpose for a gender identity is to provide members with an enhanced profile so that members can relate to whom they are connecting on the GLRF community platform. You might call it a broader brushstroke to preferred pronouns. When you first look at this topic, you will see the profile for the poster, glrfcentral. The information listed gives an age, a gender identity, a country, a region, and a metroarea.

What are your thoughts on these revised preliminary list of gender identities, and are we missing some? Please note that due to database functions, we can't offer a 'fill in the blank' field since the software has to pull from a preset code.

Here are our proposed revised list of gender identities:

• male
  • female
  • nonbinary
  • genderqueer
  • transgender
  • genderfluid

Thanks for your thoughts!

Yay for efforts at broader inclusivity! Maybe consider including "working on it" as an option? I just had a conversation w/ a young person the other day who has previously come out as non-binary, and who is now feeling a sense of "search me, I'm not sure, I'm working on it" when it comes to gender identity questions.
  • 1 month later...