Level Of Interest In A Rowers Party

In the past, we have had a rowers party following the regatta at the Outgames. In 2006, the party was held at one of the gay bars/nightclubs. We don't recall if there was a cover charge. In 2009, the Danes hosted a party at the DSR boathouse, and there was a cover charge, of I think 35 DK.

We need to get a sense of the level of interest in having a rowers party. There seem to be two options: either have a "get together" at a gay bar, or taking the plunge to reserve an "event space. The former may or may not involve a cover charge, and the latter would require a significant cash payment for the space,

We have been researching a few event locations in Antwerp.

• There seems to be one gay bar that might be a good candidate but anything over 100 people might overwhelm the space (the gay bars and clubs are just not that big in Antwerp).
  • There are several good candidates for event spaces.They require a rental fee of 1200 to 1500 Euro plus a fee for a DJ and possibly a fee for furnishing rentals and a fee for a bartender. So I don't think it is outlandish to imagine the total fee might be in the order of 2500 Euros. That is an upfront fee that GLRF would probably have to pay, in advance.

If we go with an event space, we are probably looking at a ticket fee of 25 Euros. We could certainly offer to sell tickets in advance at a lower fee of maybe 15 Euros, and then make up the difference with sales to the "fans of rowers" and rowers who waited until the last minute.

The advantage to an event space is that we could accommodate a larger group that includes a sizeable chunk of "fans." We could also have an area where we could have a t-shirt exchange where clubs or teams could trade or sell shirts.

We need your feedback:

1. Is there a significant interest by you or your team in a rowers party?

2. Do you have a preference for a gay bar get-together or an event space venue?

3. Given the recreational rowing event in Gent on Monday, would you prefer a rowers party on Sunday evening or Monday evening?

• Like 1

Hi,

1. Yes!

2. No preference - it does not have to be a gay bar - just a nice place for a get together that is reasonably priced and easily accessible

3. Sunday evening

Yes

Gay (or even not so gay) bar in preference to hired function space

Monday

(please note the Austalian embassy is already hosting an event for all Australian competitors (not just rowers) on the Sunday. Due to security and catering people have had to pre register for this already so your unlikely to have a large contingent of rowers from one of your top 3 participating rowing nations on the Sunday.

(please note the Austalian embassy is already hosting an event for all Australian competitors (not just rowers) on the Sunday.

Good to know! Given that several of the other rowers have expressed an interest in a Sunday party, do you know when the Australian party will be hosted? If it is say 5 - 8, and the rowers party was after that, then we might be able to meet everyone's schedule.

On the other hand, given that some Australians are known to "celebrate," that embassy party might last kind of late ... :rolleyes:

Hey Brian,

The embassy function goes till 7:30 on Sunday, however the 'girls party' is afterwards, so female argos will be heading there!.

FYI I've had about 5 so far of the argos say they're interested in the rowing party on Monday (one person commenting if it's anything like the copenhagen one, definitely!).

There's also about 10 heading off on the monday morning to Paris until Saturday...

Hmmm, this seems tougher than creating a race format that everyone would like ... :o

In my various inquiries, I came across a gay guy who is president of one of the local rowing clubs. Alas, that club is wayyyyy out of town but he and I have been chatting about possible locations.

I sense that after the boat rental shock, no one wants to be spending a lot of money. Given that, we have a couple of bars and the best choice right now is a beach venue bar (the other bar says no shorts and that just won't fly with rowers).

As you can see from the replies here, most are saying Sunday. On the other hand, the beach bar will be busier (sharing with other folks) on a Sunday night and we might be able to have the place more to ourselves on Monday ...

ayyyeee ... head in hands ...

Hi Brian,

Yes, great idea, I'd prefer after the events on Sunday rather than Monday...I'm game on whatever venue is easiest, juggling location/persuasion/cost.

tks,

Carson

• 2 weeks later...

Most important to find a venue where the rowers can have a nice time preferable with the chance to be outdoor as well. Think of it as a social event not a party.

Second most importatn no increased costs!!

:)