Collegiate Rowing Programs For My Son

sonj

Hi -

I was hoping some of the GLRF community could provide some input on good and accepting collegiate rowing programs for my gay/bisexual son.

He works out twice a day, rowing both sweep and scull, and he also coxes. Based on his size, 5'9" and 155 lbs, he is probably best suited for a lightweight program.

We live in Jacksonville, Florida which is rather conservative and my son would like to get as far away as possible. My son skipped a grade so he is young for his grade (16 yo. junior).

• Are there any rowing programs that are especially welcoming for gay/bisexual rowers?
  • What schools offer lightweight rowing programs? Are there any or do the boats just kind of get put together by the coach based on the rowers in the program?

Thank you so much for your thoughts!

Edited by glrfcentral
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi sonj

Whilst I am not in a postion to offer any help or advice on your question (being in the UK), I would like to say how much I admire the fact that you have approached the forum on behalf of your son. Many gay/bisexual men should be so lucky to have had such a supportive parent as they came to terms with their sexuality - particularly in the challenging field of sport. As a keen sportsmen myself I know how tough that can be. Thank you for showing what is possible from a parent and I wish your son the best of luck in his rowing career.

Thanks! It took awhile to realize he is who he is. And to see homophobia from the other side. I am looking forward to his college experience being more welcoming than high school.
  • 3 weeks later...

Have you looked at Canadian schools? Canadian schools are often much more accepting of LGBT athletes, especially large city school. University of British Columbia (UBC) has a great rowing program (in addition to a great campus). I would also recommend the University of Toronto (my alma matter) and McGill (in Montreal). Canadian schools are often less expensive then then american private schools (even for non-canadians) and have a high international rating.

In general liberal large city schools often are some of the best places to look...

Hi sonj: This is Charley Sullivan, Associate Head Coach for men's rowing at the University of Michigan. Thanks for being on the lookout for your son, how great to hear that! In some ways, I think your bigger challenge is going to be finding a reliable lightweight program; there just aren't very many of them out there any more, with the exception of the Eastern Sprint (Ivies + Navy) schools. Delaware and Mercyhurst both run lightweight programs, and I know the Mercyhurst coach, at least, is pretty good on gay issues personally. I can't speak to the climate of his team, but I get the sense having been around them that it would be an OK place. At Michigan, we run a heavyweight program where lightweights can and do compete, but we throw together the light eight in the spring once other boats (1V, 2V, 1F) are selected.

My sense, thankfully, is that there are very few teams in collegiate rowing anymore where an openly gay rower is going to catch crap for that. This is, of course, not the same as an affirming team. I would encourage you to think about the school first. What does he want to study? Is it a good place/match for him? And then about the rowing. After all, coaches move, and rowers get injured, so it's best to choose a situation that he'll be happy with even if rowing is suddenly not an option. That said, I'd also encourage you to be very forthright in talking with coaches in the recruiting process, asking them about the climate for gay rowers on their team, asking if they've had openly gay rowers on their team (if not, honestly, by this point, that's a little bit of a warning sign, but not a disqualification; I've had relatively few openly gay rowers on my team, and I've been out as a college coach for 20 years now.) It's just one of the things you will want to know about the team.

If you'd like to talk more directly, my email is rowcoach@umich.edu, and I'm glad to chat.

Peace

Charley

• Like 1

Hi Sonj,

My name is Rob Edwards and I am the Men's Head Coach for the California State University at Long Beach. Just to give you a little background about myself...I knew I was gay by the time I was 15 in high school. I also grew up in a conservative area of the country and decided that when I went to college I wanted to go somewhere where I could lose myself in anonymity to figure things out for myself. I always loved the ocean and sailing and ended up attending the New York Maritime Academy in New York City. Yeah, it's a military school so I was still in the closet throughout college and I joined the Navy afterwards under Don't Ask Don't Tell so I was officially in the closet then too. But I joined the crew team in college and fell in love with it. After college I was stationed in Washington, DC. While in Washington I learned about DC Strokes Rowing Club, the oldest Gay and Lesbian Rowing Club in the US and I quickly joined. While with the Strokes I rowed on their competitive maters team and coached their novice program. In 2007 I met my future husband and when my active duty was completed in 2009 I moved to California to be with him. Upon arrival in California I immediately sought out rowing opportunities and ended up as the Head Coach for Cal State Long Beach.

The Long Beach State Crew team is small but with a proud history. We are coming off of a down cycle and trying to recruit more members and build our ranks back up. We are club sport so we have no say in the admissions process and we cannot get you a rowing scholarship just yet, but our Alumni Association (founded last year) is trying to make rowing free for all members. Another plus side to Long Beach State is that it is pretty darn far away from Jacksonville, and the Prop 8 case not-withstanding, California is very accepting of gay people. Also, just like Florida, we can row all year here.

As for climate, well I am openly gay and I don't tolerate prejudices on my team. In addition, this year I have four openly gay men on my team and I am fairly certain that they don't get harassed for their homosexuality. My (straight) team captain and my (straight) stroke seat are actually very cool and good friends with the two varsity gay guys, and the novice team gay guys seem to get along well with their boat.

I hope you and your son find his perfect college and I wish him the best of luck. If you or your son has any questions about Long Beach State, or just want to talk about anything. Please feel free to give me a call (714)-287-0896, or shoot me an email, redwards@beachcrew.org

Very Respectfully,

Coach Rob Edwards

CSU Long Beach, Men's Crew

ROW BEACH!

• Like 2

Sonj, the Harvard lightweight team is a VERY welcoming environment. The Head Freshman Lightweight coach, Linda Muri has shared with me several times that kids have come to the team out and proud or they have come out while on the team. Her program is a very supportive meritocracy and she clearly has the ability to produce fast boats. Whether or not he could get into Harvard is a different story, but it's a start.

Also, just to make a plug... if you felt he needed a boarding school experience or a PG year, I would love to speak to the two of you about Vermont Academy. We offer crew in both fall and spring and compete in one of the most competitve leagues in the country.

Best,

Thom Collins

Vermont Academy

• Like 1

Sonj,

This is Rob Edwards again, you know I made that plug yesterday for Long Beach State, and CSU Long Beach is a great school. But in planning your son's future, make sure you pick a college that both of you can afford and which offers a degree that he wants to get. Unless he plans on making rowing his career ( then I would recommend Philadelphia or Boston) he should go to a school where he likes the environment and most of all will get a good education which he wants to work with for the rest of his life. The gay issue, for the most part shouldn't be an issue as long as he stays in the larger cities. Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, New York, Philly, DC, Boston, Chicago, Miami even Austin are all tolerant and even accepting of gays and all have great rowing available.

Good Luck

Rob

Rob, nice to see you on here! Are you bringing your guys to ACRA this year? Do consider it if you haven't, and let's be sure to meet up if you do!

Thom, I would definitely back you up on Linda Muri, and the Harvard head coach, Charlie Butt as all. Both are very very good on gay issues in their personal lives and they run a very inclusive ship.

Peace

Charley

And Rob, doing a little snooping, look forward to seeing you at ACRA AND Vails! Good luck with training.

Peace

Charley

• 4 weeks later...

I am a coxswain on an Ivy Heavyweight team. I've been out from day one, and I know of other gay rowers and coxswains at other Ivys.

My team has been incredibly supportive, and I look up to all of them as big brothers. Our team, much like Linda and the lightweights, is one that emphasizes grit and hardwork; our coaching staff, while "older", certainly emphasize dignity and respect as well.

Edited by harv408
  • Like 1