Distance From Antwerp To Gent And Transport?

glrfcentral

A big question is how far away is the rowing venue from Antwerp?

It's about an hour by train and more than two hours by bus. I have taken the train both ways and they run about every hour. The cost is around Euros 9 each way. You can get a weekend pass that would be cheaper.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

DC Strokes is trying to figure out if we should stay in Antwerp or Ghent. Can someone post the exact train station we should use in Ghent? There seem to be a number of options when you use the rail website. And if anyone know what time the trains start and end each day, that'd be great. Thanks!!

A big question is how far away is the rowing venue from Antwerp?

It's about an hour by train and more than two hours by bus. I have taken the train both ways and they run about every hour. The cost is around Euros 9 each way. You can get a weekend pass that would be cheaper.

Hey Sultan,

First, the train schedule. Use this link to find your train schedules from Gent - Antwerp or the other way around: http://www.railtime.be/website/train-schedule

As you can see, the trains run all the time so it's not a big problem even for that one DC Strokes rower who is always late because he is so busy primping .... to catch the next train! (oh, and to really use the Belgium websites, use the spelling Gent and not Ghent).

One cautionary note: these schedules are like commuter trains, almost, so they don't publish the times for July/August yet. Just use a week in April and pick a time and day and you'll see all the trains. The cost is the same if you catch an IC or an IR but obviously, the IR is a lot faster.

Okay, now, about train stations in Antwerp. There are two: Antwerp-Berchem (which is the south part of the city) and Antwerp-Centraal (which is the right in the middle of the city). If you're staying in Gent, you'll want to get off at Centraal and not Berchem.

About Gent - you're right, there are three train stations: a northern station, an eastern station, and then the main station. Gent is a small city. The closest train station to the rowing venue is Gent-Sint-Pieters. Some people may be staying in different parts of the city so for them, it may be easier to alight at a different station. Here is google map that I created: Gent Rowers Train Map

So you just exit the Gent-Sint-Pieters train station on the north side and turn left. I have marked the bus terminal and also a bike rental location south of the train station.

Outgames folks say there are 2 - 3 hotels close to the rowing venue. I don't have their locations yet.