Pansy Division Just Rocked My 60min Erg Session

zamicha

Winter training has started for my club here in Portland. That means lots of boring erging. I'm sorry, I just can't get used to it. And when I have to erg by myself?! Ugh. The WORST! I find that music can help, but it can also HURT a workout if it's bad and I can't change it.

Tonight (7pm on a Saturday) I brought my copy of The Essential Pansy Division on CD because my lil' Shuffle needed some charging. I planned a long low 60min erg and I figured the CD would be long enough, but wasn't convinced the sound would distract me from the boredom. My dreams were surpassed. The white noise of the punk electric guitar riffs dulls the body aches and the ridiculous sex crazed lyrics distract the mind from the numbingly slow countdown on the monitor. I was in heaven.

Unfortunately, we have a shared, open (or at least partially open) bay boat house that houses many different rowing and paddling clubs and someone else was home. Who knew the dragon boat people would be having a pizza/movie party at the same time?! Three minutes before my workout was complete, they sent a representative over to my bay to politely ask me to turn my music down/off so they could start their movie. They were really nice about it, but I was counting on those last minutes of music to see me through to the end! Oh, well. It was worth it to think of the education they were getting from the PD's raunchy lyrics!

What music gets you going during your erg session?

Since I'm so bad at timing (I could never master marching on the drill grounds), I like anything with a very obvious beat. Waltz, Dolly Parton, you name it ...

I think a great head adjuster for crews to use before they go out on the water is to listen to "On the Bayou."

I've noticed anything with an obvious beat can really throw me off when the beat doesn't match up with your spm tempo. I agree, though, On The Bayou does get the mind in racing space!