Anyone out there?

Hi...I can't believe there are no message posts for the UK.  I'm trying to get started in rowing, and thought this would be a great place to start.  I'm in central London and looking for help and guidance.  If anyone is in London and is willing to help a newbie get started, I'd be delighted.  

Do get in touch...I'm keen to get started buit haven't a clue where to begin  :(  

cheers,

Geoff

• 1 year later...

Hey Londoners...

Although we don't have a lot of posts, we do receive a fair amount of email enquiries asking about where one can take up rowing.  We do our best to steer people to gay friendly clubs, such as the Thames Rowing Club.

Brian Todd

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Geoff, if you read this, send me a message. I can probably help!

Hi Geoff,

Just seen your msg so I thought I would reply to it.

Im keen to start rowing again if you know of any club in London drop me a line

Best regards

Steve

• 1 year later...
Hi...I can't believe there are no message posts for the UK.  I'm trying to get started in rowing, and thought this would be a great place to start.  I'm in central London and looking for help and guidance.  If anyone is in London and is willing to help a newbie get started, I'd be delighted.  

Do get in touch...I'm keen to get started buit haven't a clue where to begin  :(  

cheers,

Geoff

Judging from the dates on your posts, you'll be sorted out by now. But if your not.....You need to sort out what level you want to row at. There are a lot of clubs on the tideway (Thames) and some deal very much with race crews only. I'm surprised that Thames is down as being friendly, as it never was back in the day (at least to lesbians). The friendly clubs were Sons, Furnival & probably some others, but this is talking several years ago & about being accepted in a predominately straight club. Outside London to the west, Molesey must be ok as I have a friend who rows there. Out in the East, I've had no trouble at Lea RC. (But its a bit rough & ready)

Good luck.

• 3 months later...

Hi Helandro,

Bit of a delayed response to your message but here goes....

I think your summary of the London clubs sounds about right from what I've heard - though I do have an out male friend at Thames who seems to get on ok - it was definately a surprise to his crew when he came out though!

Am happy to hear you've had a good time at Lea - I am hoping to join there v soon (have been waiting for the training season to come round again) so would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Mark

Judging from the dates on your posts, you'll be sorted out by now. But if your not.....You need to sort out what level you want to row at. There are a lot of clubs on the tideway (Thames) and some deal very much with race crews only. I'm surprised that Thames is down as being friendly, as it never was back in the day (at least to lesbians). The friendly clubs were Sons, Furnival & probably some others, but this is talking several years ago & about being accepted in a predominately straight club. Outside London to the west, Molesey must be ok as I have a friend who rows there. Out in the East, I've had no trouble at Lea RC. (But its a bit rough & ready)

Good luck.